Private Salkantay Trek multi sport to Machu Picchu 4 Days Your journey begins here... a once in a lifetime physical, cultural and spiritual journey that will take you through the magnificent Salkantay Valley en route to the legendary citadel at Machu Picchu. Challenge yourself as you trek through
nine different biozones, changing altitudes and varied terrain. Marvel at the exquisite beauty of the Salkantay Peak, Salkantay Glacier and Humantay Glacier Lake. Share in the culture and customs of local Andean families who maintain age-old traditions. Witness environmental and social initiatives to maintain the natural integrity and improve quality of life in the region. Indulge in the comfort of enchanting camp sites, the revitalizing salts and minerals of natural hot springs, the innovative local cuisine, the warmth of the people, Be inspired by the majesty of your surroundings and the knowledge that you are following in the footsteps of the Incas...
“GET UP. GO. EXPLORE.”
ALL DEPARTURES 100% GUARANTEED - IF YOU'RE BOOKED, YOU'RE GOING
- Enjoy a spectacular trek to Machu Picchu through the majestic Peruvian Andes
- Stay with nest team and luxury equipment for camping
- Machu Picchu sunrise, explore with expert, private guide Machupicchu
- Soak in views of snow-capped Andean peaks and awe-inspiring ruins sites
While many trails lead toward the wonderous "Lost City of the Incas," only one offers trekkers a close-up view of towering snow-clad peaks, insights into the age-old culture and traditions of local Andean families, and the welcome to stunning camp sites after each day's trek.
Join EXPLORE ADVENTURESon this unique and unforgettable trans-Andean journey to Machu Picchu, we begin our hike through the spectacular Cordillera Vilcabamba mountain range, enjoying dramatic alpine vistas each day and best camp sites with spectacular views and delicious cuisine each night.
Day 1 CUSCO - SORAYPAMPA - LAKE HUMANTAY - CHAULLAY
You should have breakfast in your hotel prior to departure or bring some snacks with you. We will collect you early from your hotel and take a private transport to the village of Mollepata (2.5 hours) where we will have breakfast or a snack (not included) and have a look around the village. This is the traditional starting point for the Salkantay trek. We also suggest if you want to buy last minute supplies you can do so in Mollepata, thus supporting the local economy. We continue in our vehicle for 1.5 hours more to Soraypampa, where we will start hiking. After meet with our team and we hike up to the unforgettable Humantay Lake (4200 MASL – 13779 ft). This is a 5 km (3.1miles) round-trip which we will walk in a total of 3 hours. This place one of the most beautiful sights in all the Andes with unbelievable blue-green water reflecting the mountain glaciers of Apu Humantay after Humantay we start climb gently for about 2-3 hours to Salkantaycocha/Pampa. We will have lunch very close to Salkantay mountain and glaciers. After lunch and a short break we will continue to climb steeply for 2.5 to 3 hours to the Salkantay pass where we will make small offerings to the apus (mountain spirits). This is the highest point of the trip (4,600 metres/13451 feet). From here we descend for 2 to 3 hours to the campsite at Huayracmachay
Total walking hours: 7 - 8 hours
Day 2 CHAULLAY - LA PLAYA - SANTA TERESA
From our campsite, we will climb 1 hour quite steeply to Unuyoc on a narrow path, where we will have great views of the Santa Theresa river valley and then descend for another hour to the Unuyoc campsite. From Unuyoc to Wiñaypocco is another hour, where we will have lunch. After lunch, we walk through the high jungle (known in Spanish as the eyebrow of the jungle) enjoying the landscapes which offer us much natural beauty. The afternoon follows a gentle descent for 2-3 hours to the small high jungle village of La Playa where we will spend the night.
Total walking hours: 8 - 9 hours
DAY 3 SANTA TERESA – HIDROELÉCTRICA – AGUAS CALIENTES
In the early morning, we will begin our difficult climb to the LLACTAPATA pass at 8,900 feet (2,700 masl). Llactapata is an Inca construction that is located in the rear of Machu Picchu. From there, you will be able to see the Machu Picchu citadel and part of the classic Inca trail. From Llactapa, we will descend through thick vegetation, tall trees, and see an incredible diversity of birds. After we reach the hydroelectric site, we will take a local train to the village of Aguas Calientes where we will spend the night.
Distance: 12 km
Walking hours: 4-6 hours.
Low altitude: 1,850 m/ 6,068 ft
High altitude: 2,700 m / 8,900 ft
Aguas Calientes: 2,050 m / 6,724 ft
DAY 4 AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHUPICCHU – CUSCO
With Salcantay package you will receive:
Cultural Immersion Experience
- visit to Patabamba village
- home stay at the community
- Explore the community with your guide share the day in the lives of QUECHUAS.
- Private transport from your Cusco hotel or home stay to trailhead
- Bus ticket from Machupicchu to Aguas Calientes
- Train ticket back to Cusco Expeditions service
- Transfer from Cusco the train station back to your hotel
- Entrance fees for Salcantay trek
- Entrance fees for Machu Picchu
- Our service includes a porter 8kgs
- High quality double-occupancy tents and camping equipment
- Sleeping rest mattress 'foam mattresses'
- Hot water in the morning for washing
- Food and drink utensils
- Dining tent, kitchen tent, tables, seats
- Toilet tent with biodegradable chemical toilet
- Oxygen bottle and first aid kit equipment for wilderness trekking
- Professional, knowledgeable English-speaking guide
- A cook to prepare your meals
- Porters to carry camping equipment and food(passengers must carry their own bags porters just carry 8kgs )
- Plentiful, nutritious meals (vegetarian option available) 03B, 03L, 03D
- Hot drinks such as tea and coffee, as well as enough water for your canteens, water bottles or hydration packs
- Sleeping bag
- Breakfast on Day 1
- Tips for guide and camp staff
Price per person: US$650 (Minimum 2 persons; departures all year except February)
* We include duffle bags 8kls and a horse that will carry your personal belongings in all of our treks at no additional cost.
*Emergency horse available throughout the trek, in the event someone is not feeling well.
- Student Discount (with valid ISIC card) – $25
- Under 15 Discount – $25
- Under 7 Discount – $35
- Hiking poles - US$15.00 (pair)
- Sleeping bag - 4 season - US$30.00
- Private Tent - US$30.00
- air mattress -$15
horses- Our service includes 8kg carried by our horses per person, but if you would like an upgrade:
Train upgrade to Vistadome: US$50.00 one way (Departing from Aguas Calientes) Train will be according to availability and Peru Rail schedules, if train route ends at Ollantaytambo, we will be there waiting for you in order to go to Cusco City. (Our service ends once you are at your accommodation at Cusco City)
Would you also like to hike Huaynapicchu? Sure, you can make it! Its price is US$65.00 per person and there are 2 times (at 7 am and 10am). We usually recommend people to take the 10am one (this activity is on the 4th day of the Salcantay trek 4 days) because that way you won’t be running with the time to take your tour. Other option would be on the 5th day in the morning if you want to stay for an extra night at Aguas Calientes. (accommodation is on your own on the 4th night)
1. Because of the strict regulations of the Machupicchu Park, once you have made your reservation, you cannot cancel the space that you have reserved. You also may not alter the name or date of the reservation. If you are unable to come on the date you have reserved, we cannot reimburse you.
2. The $200 deposit is non-refundable. We cannot reimburse the entrance fee to the Inca Trail because the permits are non-refundable and EXPLORE ADVENTURES PERU purchases the tickets from Machupicchu Park when you reserve your spot.
3. If you cancel between 30 and 10 days before your trek, you must pay 50% of the total cost.
4. If you cancel between 10 and 3 days before your trek, you must pay 80% of the total cost.
5. If you cancel one or two days before your trek, you must pay 100% of the total cost.
6. In the exceptional case that you decide to head back once you have started the trail, you must pay extra expenses such as food and transportation. You may join the group in Machupicchu for the walking tour and use all of the services onward.
Peru Behind The Scenes
Travel is about meeting the local people and experiencing different ways of life. That is why EXPLORE ADVENTURES PERU immerses you in the local communities. Visit the most interesting and off the beaten track locations to experience the real Peru! Have a unique cultural adventure at local communities, COMMUNITY STAY and CULTURAL IMMERSION before each trek and take part of our tours.
We are a 100% locally owned and operated company!
Upgrades - HOTELS
Belmond Sanctuary Lodge($460 USD), Belmond Sanctuary Lodge is a luxury hotel in the Sacred Valley, Machupicchu Peru.
Sumaq Machu Picchu Hotel 5-star hotel($335 USD) , hotel Privileged located at the Urubamba River and only 20 minutes from the famous Machu Picchu archeological site, this 5- star hotel offers comfort, elegance and relaxation, in Andean Design.
Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo 3,5-star hotel ($445USD) , Hotel is a colonial-style property that features massage sessions and an Andean sauna. The spacious rooms feature tile floors and sitting areas.
Tierra Viva Machu Picchu 3-star hotel($110 USD) , hotel Offering impressive views of the surrounding hills, Tierra Viva Cusco Machu Picchu.
Andina Luxury hotel ($100 USD),This hotel is located in Aguas Caliente (Machu Picchu town), a few meters from the railway station en route to the hot springs with a breathtaking view of the surrounding vegetation.
Casa Andina Machu Picchu hotel ($150 USD),Casa Andina Classic Machu Picchu is a cozy and comfortable hotel strategically located in Aguas Calientes, the access point to the Historical Sanctuary of Machu Picchu.
Upgrades - Restaurants
Indio Feliz Dinner at the Restaurant, Bistro, Bar, Crêperie in MachuPicchu. on Day 1-($35 USD)
Tinkuy Buffet Lunch at the Belmond Sanctuary Lodge on Day 2 – US $45
DON'T JUST TRAVEL. EXPLORE! Explore Adventures Peru team!!