Choquequirao is one of 25 best places to visit in 2023 (natgeo). Choquequirao Trek to machu picchu 8 days - Brilliant Inca Trail Alternative Route. Choquequirao or Choquekiraw means "Cradle of Gold" in Quechua Inca´s language, although this is probably not its original name. It is another "Lost City of the Incas" rediscovered officially late in 20th century located high on a ridge spur almost 1750 mts above the raging glacier-fed
Apurimac River and surrounded by towering Salkantay and Humantay snow-capped peaks. Choquequirao was build during the last days of the Inca empire in the government of the Inca Pachacutec 1490, by Tupac Inca Yapanqui, and probably after the Spanish invasion in 1532. Almost 40 years the Inca's held stand against the spanish conquerors (between 1536 - 1572). The construction of the different levels of temples, palaces, canals and aqueducts is really fantastic. "Choquequirao is the city which demonstrates the inspiring example of an elite Inca ceremonial center. A city dedicated to worship the “Pachamama” the andean mother earth “the Apus” mountain gods and divinities, the river and the elements of nature." Choquequirao finally burned down and left deserted. This happened probably after the execution of the last Inca, Tupac Amaru I in 1572.
Discover the you you never knew...
Discover yourself in Peru
ALL DEPARTURES 100% GUARANTEED - IF YOU'RE BOOKED, YOU'RE GOING
BRIEFING: The day before the trek, you will meet with your guide and meet all the members of your expedition group. Your guide will explain to you about the trek, route, and all the necessary recommendations will be provided to you according to the trekking season you choose. This briefing will take approximately 40 minutes, where you will receive your duffel bags that will be carried by the porters along the trail.
Choquequirao is another example of how incredible the Incas were at using their resources to thrive in an unforgiving landscape. Choquequirao was once used by the Incas to perform rituals to honor the mountains and agriculture. At the risk of sounding like a pushy cars salesman, the opportunity to explore Choquequirao with fewer than 50 people there will not last forever!
During this trek you will not only see Choquequirao, we will also hike to and explore Machu Picchu.
DURATION: 8 Days, 7 Nights
TYPE: Trek with camping (tents provided)
DIFFICULTY (1 - 5): 5, Multiple days of hiking. Includes several severe inclines and declines. Experienced hikers only.
- Choquequirao was voted as Best in Travel 2017 (Lonely Planet) #1 destination in Peru for 2017!
- Experience charming Quechua farming villages high in the mountains
- Have the Andes all to yourself!
- Enjoy our premier camping accommodations and local cuisine
- Trekking on the hidden Inca Trail, to reach Choquequirao and Machu Picchu
- Enjoy an entire day at Choquequirao - sunrise , sunset
- All of our treks are led by experienced guides, who are fluent in English
- Full day tour explore of Machu Picchu, starting with a sunrise entry (hours before the crowds arrive)
- This trek is not for beginners, Challenging trek, good physical condition required
Day 1: CUSCO - CACHORA - PLAYA ROSALINA
At 5:00 am. We pick you up from your hotels, then we travel in our private vehicle to Cachora for 4 hours approximately, spectacular views in Izcuchaca, Limatambo valley, Salkantay mountain and Curawasi enroute, once there, we meet our muleteer and horses, there we pack all our equipment in horses, we begin to walk, the trail is flat until Chiquisca and then we will go uphill, passing through the high pass of Capuliyoc, from there, we will have a great view of the Apurimac Canyon. Then we will descend to playa Rosalina on the banks of the Apurimac River, Campsite at 1,550 masl. Or 5,115 Ft. After of 4 hours walk we stop to rest and lunch. After lunch we continue to our first camping to Playa Rosalina. 7-8 hours walk ,16 Km
Day 2: PLAYA ROSALINA - CHOQUEQUIRAO
Early in the morning, after breakfast we will start to climb uphill through a long and narrow trail, arriving Chokequiraw around 4 pm,approximatelly then, We visit the Archaeological site with our guide. The view of the canyon is spectacular, it is also possible to see Andean Condors soaring in the mountains. Campsite(3050 masl. 11,055 ft.)
Day 3: CHOQUEQUIRAO - MAIZAL
Gentle climbing for 3 hours until be at 3,300 masl. Or 10,890 Ft, then we will descend until White River(1900 masl. Or 6,270 Ft.) On the way we will pass by Pinchiunuyoj Ruins . There, we will observe different species of birds, different varieties of orquids, and local coca plantations (2,750 masl. Or 9075 Ft.), >From Rio Blanco (White river), we will climb up to Maizal (3,000 masl. Or 9,900 Ft.) for about 3 hrs. Campsite.
Day 4: MAIZAL - YANAMA
Again another gentle climbing to start our day ,after 4 hours we will reach Minas Victoria an old Mining center . Almost on the top, we can appreciate original paved Inca trails with stone steps in the middle of the valley . We will pass over (4,150 masl. Or 13,695 Ft.) and finally descend to our campsite(3,800 masl. Or 12,540 Ft.).
Day 5: YANAMA - TOTORA
After an early breakfast, we will start climbing slowly to our higher pass in all the trail (4,670 masl. Or 15,410 Ft.), again the view will be amazing from here, we will be surrounded by snowcapped mountains: The Sacsarayoj mountain and the Padreyoj mountain. Campsite at 3,630 masl. Or 11,979 Ft
Day 6: TOTORA - PLAYA
On this day we will descend to the Totora river. As we go down the Natural life will be more interesting, with lots of hummingbirds, woodpeckers and many species of orchids and begonias. Campsite at 2,125 masl. Or 7,012 Ft. That day we will visit Coffe farm and we will going roasted Coffee beans in the clay pot over open fire with Some brown sugar may be added for magic touch.
Day 7: PLAYA - AGUAS CALIENTES
This day, we will walk to our last uphill, until 2,810 masl. Or 9,273 Ft., to arrive there, we will take around 3 hours; from here we will have an excellent view of the lost Inca’s city of Machu Picchu. After a good rest, we will go down to the Hydroelectric plant on the Urubamba River, from here, depending on the time, we will walk and/or take the train to Aguas Calientes, Night in a Hostel.
Day 8: MACHU PICCHU FULL DAY – CUSCO
After breakfast we will take the bus to Machu Picchu, there we will have a guided tour then we will have free time to be by our own in Machupicchu, maybe to climb the Wayna Picchu. Sungate ,Inca Bridge or Tempole of the Moon In the afternoon(At 4:00 pm.), Bus down to Aguas Calientes village and at 16:20 we will board a train to Cusco ( Optional Train to Ollanta and private Bus to Cusco. Arriving at 9 pm. Aprox.
With choquekirao trek package you will receive:
Cultural Immersion Experience
- visit to Patabamba village
- home stay at the community
- Explore the community with your guide share the day in thelives of QUECHUAS.
Transportation and tickets
- Private transportation from Cusco to Cachora
- Entrance ticket to Choquekirao
- Round trip bus tickets Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu
- Train ticket from Hydroelectric Plant to Aguas Calientes
- Train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Cusco
- Transfer from Cusco train station back to your Cusco hotel
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu
- Hotels in Aguas Calientes
- Sleeping liner and mat
- Dining & bathroom equipment
- Tents for two people (single tents available for extra cost)
- Saddled horse (1 saddled horse for every six passengers)
- First-aid kit
- tables and seats
- Emergency oxygen bottle
- Professional, knowledgeable bilingual guide
- A cook to prepare your meals
- Mule handlers and mules
- High quality meals to provide the necessary energy for this challenging trek (including vegetarian options upon request)
- In addition to three meals daily, you will be given revitalizing snacks
- Hot drinks such as tea and coffee, as well as enough water for your canteens, water bottles, or hydration packs (collected from local streams and boiled while on the trek)
- Sleeping bag
- Breakfast on the first day
PRICE PER PERSON $ 1200
- 1. Because of the strict regulations of the Machupicchu Park, once you have made your reservation, you cannot cancel the space that you have reserved. You also may not alter the name or date of the reservation. If you are unable to come on the date you have reserved, we cannot reimburse you.
- 2. The $200 deposit is non-refundable. We cannot reimburse the entrance fee to the Inca Trail because the permits are non-refundable and EXPLORE ADVENTURES PERU purchases the tickets from Machupicchu Park when you reserve your spot.
- 3. If you cancel between 30 and 10 days before your trek, you must pay 50% of the total cost.
- 4. If you cancel between 10 and 3 days before your trek, you must pay 80% of the total cost.
- 5. If you cancel one or two days before your trek, you must pay 100% of the total cost.
- 6. In the exceptional case that you decide to head back once you have started the trail, you must pay extra expenses such as food and transportation. You may join the group in Machupicchu for the walking tour and use all of the services onward.
Cultural Immersion Experience,Travel is about meeting the local people and experiencing different ways of life. That is why EXPLORE ADVENTURES PERU immerses you in the local communities. Visit the most interesting and off the beaten track locations to experience the real Peru! Have a unique cultural adventure at local communities, COMMUNITY STAY and CULTURAL IMMERSION before each trek and take part of our tours.
We are a 100% locally owned and operated company! EXPLORE ADVENTURES PERU offers an assortment of adventurous treks and exciting tour packages in Peru, specially designed to appeal to most visitors' budgets that doesn't have a negative impact on the environment or adversely affect local communities. EXPLORE ADVENTURES PERU employees are local, Peruvian people. We work to invest in our own country and develop social work to offer our people a better lifestyle and provide opportunities to keep growing. This is the main difference between local companies and foreign companies and associated companies.
Our treks : Ancascocha trek - Huchuy Qosqo trek - Salkantay Trek - Llama Lares trek - Ausangate trek - Moon stone trek